Duke offers occasional funding opportunities and calls for proposals for online education projects from Duke instructors and departments. Online Duke also offers free support for online projects outside of formal funding processes.
Instructors can get help with teaching ideas, learning about media production options, developing plans for creating online activities or modules, learning about funding sources and developing an assessment plan or research study around some aspect of online education. Contact us.
MOOC Research Funding – Ongoing
Are you a Duke faculty member who wants to do research using data from millions of people around the world?
We have survey data available from over 50,000 people worldwide who took a free online Duke class last year, and we’re ready to help you use it!
Examples of research questions currently being analyzed using these data:
- How and why do high school students take free, online college classes?
- Does employer or family support affect people’s ability to complete online courses?
- Can online computer science classes increase confidence in computer science among women?
- $1,000 research stipend
- Funding for a student research assistant
- Consultation with a data manager
- Assistance with IRB approvals
- Access to a custom dataset for your project
- Help publicizing research results
Contact us to learn more about the data and get started thinking about how our data could inform your work.
Fall 2015 Call for Proposals for Global Online Education Projects
In Fall 2015, Duke University Provost Sally Kornbluth, the Office of Global Strategy and Programs, and Online Duke invited faculty members to apply for support to use technology to add a global component to their teaching. See projects selected from this call for proposals for support in 2016-2017.
Past Calls for Proposals
- Call for Proposals for Global Online Education Projects, Fall 2015. Issued October 22, 2015.
- Online Education Initiatives Call for Proposals, Fall 2014. Issued November 4, 2014.
- Online Education Initiatives Call for Proposals, Fall 2013. Issued October 28, 2013.
- Coursera MOOCs for 2013–14. Issued January 14, 2013. See Awards.